Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Dim Sum Craves


Dim Sum at Hong Kong Chinese

When I was growing up, I looked forward to going to the market and visiting pushcart vendors who sell chive dumplings, Shumai, and sesame seed steamed buns.  The moment the fried, crisped garlic and the dark soy sauce get drizzled over the rising steam of the Shumai and sprinkled with fresh coriander, I would have grabbed the bag and run to a corner of the world. I would sit and savor every bite...like a void in the siren and unstirred mind in the mist of an earthquake.
Sticky Rice in Lotus Leaves

Living in the US, many of my Chinese friends introduced me to Hong Kong style Dim Sum.  I fell madly addicted to the chicken feet and fresh rice noodles.  
The tender, gelatinous , 5 spices stew skin with a taste of sweet soy, how could you resist. My lunch during the weekends while working in Arlington was at "China Garden", a Hong Kong style dim sum in the neighborhood with the best chive and pork dumplings.  I often saw Washington DC Italian chef, Roberto Donna visiting this joint with an hour-long line of 100s of people.
Dim Sum at Dim Sum House

I spent the last couple weeks testing and tasting 2 dim sum places in the Triangle.  The first one was Hong Kong Chinese in Durham.  The second one was Dim Sum House in Morrisville.  As suspected, both places had long lines with the wait between 20-40 minutes, filled with Asians...a good sign.  The best thing about Dim Sum is that once seated, the food carts will practically run over you to serve food...fast.  
Hong Kong Chinese steamed their dumplings with aluminum containers.  Dim Sum House has bamboo baskets.  The usuals were ordered at both places, Shumai, Hagao, sticky rice in lotus leaves, pork buns, fresh noodles with shrimp wrapped inside, bean curd skin wrapped vegetable and my beloved chicken feet. Everything is fair and well, except I voted the best chicken feet and chow fun for the  Durham joint.  The Chinese broccoli was crisp, young, and bouncy at Morrisville.  So, was the egg tart--sweet and mellow at the Dim Sum house.
Chinese Broccoli

Well ...with a cup or two of my chrysanthemum tea.  I long for the sesame seed buns and my chive dumplings.  Until then the chicken feet will walk me forward and warm me up just fine...thanks RTP ( and all the local Asians who demand for nothing less).

Cheers!
Teera

No comments: