Tuesday, May 22, 2012

18 Seaboard, Not Quite Low Country

18 Seaboard She-Crab soup and Fried Green Tomatoes
Mother's Day came and went, but the salty grits and dried shrimps still linger as a memory on my tongue. I was treated to a low country Sunday brunch...(well it seems like that was the theme any way), at 18 Seaboard restaurant in Raleigh, NC. Sunday brunch at 18 Seaboard happens only once per year, according to the staff, on Mother's Day only...how nice.

The appetizer started off deliciously with creamy She-crab soup and cornmeal crusted fried green tomatoes. For those of us who have had a low country meal in Charleston and Savannah should know what the creamy concoction tastes like, sweet crab on top of lightly salted cream with a dust of black pepper. It was a comfort in a bowl and a great introduction to the meal. Fried green tomatoes are another southern favorite of mine. Tart, crisp with buttermilk dip, summer is sure coming.

18 Seaboard Shrimp and Grits
The main course arrived with a bowl of salty, cheesy grits and salty grilled, dried shrimp. What have they done to my Shrimp and Grits? Where is the sauce? If this is what the restaurant calls "Shrimp and Grits", I was fooled. I call it "Grits and Salty Grilled Shrimp"!

I was so disappointed in this last dish that I stopped eating after a couple bites and could not wait to come home to make my own version of the dish. It is rather simple actually. All you need is head-on East coast or Gulf shrimp, Chorizo or Andouille, garlic, paprika, cayenne, thyme, good roux, white wine, seafood stock and a tongue that keeps you in line with the taste of the low country version.  Voila, the shrimp is made.

Grits are similar to polenta, but ground more coarsely and not as fine as corn meal. Add 1 cup of grit, 2 cups of water, 1 cup of milk and a pinch of salt and pepper. Bring it to boil and simmer, stir constantly until the mixture is reduced by 1/2. Grate any type of cheese in, about 1 cup.  Let it comes to room temperature.

Homemade Version Of Shrimp and Grits
Pour the shrimps and its sauce on top of the warm grits, pull the shrimps apart, taste the fat from its head. The sweet, succulent shrimps dance on the gently spiced gravy. My rage came to peace and my craving satisfied. 18 Seaboard, be careful of what you serve. If it ain't Shrimp and Grits, don't call it so.

Early that morning, my children woke me up with a shower of artwork and poetry.  As their eyes close and the sun set over the horizon, calmness came over me.  The peaceful breath of my children, the laughter and the dance, all that made me twisted got untied…what could really be better. 

Happy Belated Mother’s Day.
Cheers!

Teera

No comments: