Monday, December 26, 2011

Christmas Fowl


My Glorious Ducks
It is that time of the year where ritual and tradition forefront the day’s priority.  My orientation tilted a bit side way this Christmas.  I suppose, I could have gone to a local grocery store and be rescued by the ducks delivered from New Jersey…but no, not me.  That’s too easy.

My search lead me to discover Turtle Mist Farm at the local farmers market.  I decided to give the vender a chance. The farm itself is located in Franklinton, NC; about 30 min. drive north of the Metro Triangle area. They raise Muscovy duck and other fowl. I sent my family out to pick up 2 ducks for our Christmas dinner. The kids had a chance to visit a working farm and see all of the animals, including ducks, chickens, quails, guinea hens, Cornish game hens, sheep and horses. Learning about where their food comes from is a lesson I do not want the kids to miss.
Turtle Mist Farm
I typically use Peking or Long Island duck for Christmas cooking, but this time I decided to use Muscovy since it was the only type available from the free-range farm. Caution, the Muscovy duck's skin is much leaner than the Pekin duck.  Its meat has a very dark complexion. I roasted the ducks using a similar method as the Long Island duck but with less time:

2-4.5 lb duck
Stuff them with celery, orange wedges, thyme and apples
Sprinkle the skin with salt and pepper
Roast @350 degree F for 90 min.
Baste with glaze (see recipe below) and bake 15 min. more
Let them rest for at least 15 min. before slicing

Glaze: mix and simmer until reduced to 1/2 quantity
1 cup pomegranate juice
1 cup orange juice
3/4 cup honey
1 orange peel
2 cinnamon stick
10 cloves
5 star anise

The duck was served with roasted local rutabaga, baked sweet potatoes, and radicchio salad.
  The skin was not as crispy as I had hope.  The meat was a bit dry.  
But I must say "give me time my duckling…I shall sharpen my knife and manage the heat better next year."

Happy Boxing Day to all!

Teera

No comments: