Sunday, April 15, 2012

Holidays Recap


In-Laws Easter Table
I still remember the first time I tasted a sprig of parsley, dipped in salt water. The thin crusty matzah with a spread of apple sauce was a flavor that is hard to comprehend, but the reasoning behind it all was easy to remember...to be reminded of what the Jews had to go through during hard times. Hardship comes in many forms. Religions have ritual that reminds us of good times, bad times and times to let go. Foods, eaten during the holidays, bring the taste buds to another level in association with memories.
Spicy Deviled Eggs
Our kids got very excited about EB (Easter Bunny). But after a week of eating chocolate and 4 baskets full of Easter eggs, I think we all had enough of the sugar high. We had our Easter feast at my in-law's house. The usual ham, turkey, potatoes, vegetable, and hot cross buns filled up the table. My contribution was spiced deviled eggs. Egg is where many lives begin. With a few asparagus sprigs, the Easter meal is completed. Having a meal at the plantation does make me feel like I have gone back in time. Eating and having a discussion about my husband's ancestors feels like they are looking over us. Though, I am very happy with finding a Thai Buddhist temple in the Raleigh area. It is a small temple, but close by. The kids enjoyed doing " Tum Boon" and putting pieces of gold leaf on the Buddhist statue. "Tum Boon" literally means making good karma. The word "boon" is an opposite with the word "Gum" (karma). Monks live off of what is being given from the community. Giving food to the monk is considered one of the good deeds since it helps sustain the monks who follow strict Buddhist rules which is much more difficult than the lay person rules. To be a monk is a step closer to enlightenment. When the temple is not within reach, I usually end up at the local food bank. Donating food is another good deed that one can do...a favorite one of mine. Buddhist New Year is the time of cleansing and renewal. I do remember my relatives, arriving from far and beyond, to pour fragrant water over my grandparents. In return, they receive blessing for prosperity from my elders. 
Pork Salad and Pork Lemongrass Sausage
Enough with the ritual! Every Thai New Year is my chance to also see other Thais and eat authentic Thai food. I used to attend Wat Thai DC in Maryland. They usually have a temple festival after the ceremony with 50 Thai restaurants selling awesome Thai food. Though I found only a couple vendors at Wat Thai Raleigh, it was just right. Grilled, spicy lemongrass sausage, sticky rice, sundried beef and fresh cured pork salad. It may look like fried rice to you, but I can tell you that it is nothing like fried rice. It has crispy fried rice, raw cured pork, pork skin and peanuts as the main ingredients, eaten with lettuce, sorrel leaves, chili and coriander.  I hope we all had a good holiday. I did. The weather is in the high 70s today with clear blue sky and rolling cumulus clouds. I feel light and ready to fly. Cheers! Teera   

No comments: