Sunday, April 1, 2012

Lamb me Crazy!


Grilled Rack of Fennel Lamb
Last week, the whole town was practically engulfed with fog in the 80 degree weather.  Not just an ordinary fog, it was a misty green dust of pollen, swirling up and down, left and right, like it was the work of a fairy, sprinkling the magical dust.  By the time the weekend rolls around, thank goodness, the sky broke down and washed the dust away.  It is about 70 degrees and dry today.  My body has no referencing point...to be hot or not to be hot?

Full moons come and go, signaling the rise and fall of water and signify the important of religions.  Holidays are around the corner--Easter, Passover and Thai Buddhist New Year.  What am I going to cook?   I laugh when our children told us that that they are a mixed religion, but proud.  My translation to the mixed religion definition is not to only be versatile, but also considerate of others and their beliefs.
I grew up in a country with a 95% Buddhist population with a religion class that was taught by a monk in school.  You would think that it's difficult to see goodness in other religions when what surrounds you is nothing but one teaching.  It all depends on what is being taught, isn't it.  "Every religion has the same goal--to be good", the monk taught us.  What would a kid do, but be open-minded?
The Tough cut, but So tasty
I had never had lamb until I came to the US.  After giving it a try a few times, I do enjoy the flavor.  The meat can taste gentle or strong, depending on the cut you select.  Most lamb these days is Australian.  I offer the family and myself the remedies of this bumpy weather, prepping myself for the moon and flavoring a mixture using 3 influences.  If you want to join in, remember to empty your mind before starting!
Braised Shank
On a rainy day, it has to be stewed lamb shank.
Sprinkled with salt and pepper, Sear 4 lamb shanks in a Dutch oven with a couple tablespoons of olive oil.  Set them aside and sauté about 5 min.--5 sliced carrots, 1 chopped onion, 4-chopped celery stalk.  Add 1 orange, sliced with peel on, 2 cinnamon sticks, 2 tablespoons of honey and 6 cups of chicken stock.  Add the lamb back, bring it to a boil and let it simmer for at least 2 hours.  Voila!
Happy Medicine-Vindaloo.
On a cold, dry day. I warmed up with lamb Vindaloo.
This dish was an early Portuguese and South Indian fusion, prepared with my favorite ingredient--chili, lots of it.  The best cut, I think is a leg of lamb, cubed.  Marinate 2 lbs of cubed lamb with a mixture of grind up 1/2 cup of Thai dry chili, 1 cup of vinegar, 1/4 cup of ginger, 4 cloves of garlic, for about 2 hours.
In a hot skillet, sate about 5 min., 2 onions sliced.  Add the marinated lamb, the sauce, and
1 teaspoon of each spice--clove, nutmeg, cinnamon, cardamom.  Add 8 oz can of crushed tomatoes, 2 tbspn of sugar and 1 teaspoon of salt.  Let it simmer for 1/2 hour.  Serve with rice.
Fennel, Pepper Corn and Honey marinated
On a hot day, I grill a rack of lamb.
I don't know about you, but rack of lamb marinated in fennel seeds, balsamic, honey, salt and pepper is to die for.  Grill the lamb at 400 degrees for about 10-15 mins, depending on your desired doneness.

Maybe I inhaled too much pollen and am under the influence of trying new things. Maybe it was the way I was brought up to always be hungry for new ingredients and tastes.  Living in a country where anything in the world is within reach...who wouldn't take advantage of that ability...you know I am.

Cheers,
Teera

No comments: